On the Shoulders of Dwarves
Uplifting (Episode 97)
Today's episode we will be talking about ways that the GM can make their players feel uplifted.
## How Uri uplift his players spirit (01:05):
Every once in a while I do an “uplifting session”. That is a session whose entire purpose is to make the players feel uplifted. When? After the end of an adventure for example, to let the players experience the results of their actions.
Another great time for an uplifting session is after gaining new levels, abilities or status, as a way to let the players test out their new powers and abilities.
How to create the sense of an uplifting moment?
- Lower the difficulties
- Enhance NPCs reactions to the positive
- Failure forward: still rewards the characters with progress of some sort
- Continus sense of momentum toward their goals
## What Eran think of uplifting (08:01):
- During an epilogue
- Throw an obstacle; how did you overcome it?
- Using the “How do you want to do this” catchphrase
- The Interlude mechanic
- Using the Savage Worlds adventure cards mechanic
# Summary (21:12)
This is also a great tool for these hard days, when you want your players to leave a gaming session with something hopeful and uplifting.
* * *
# Taking the load off (22:23)
- Erans new adventure: [Shed Not a Tear, Oh Princess](https://www.dmsguild.com/product/307765/Shed-Not-a-Tear-oh-Princess?affiliate_id=29668?affiliate_id=29668)
- Uri new adventure [Rolling with Laughter](https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/306078/Rolling-With-Laughter?affiliate_id=29668) and new gaming system [Dozens](https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/307438/Dozens-RPG?affiliate_id=29668) .
* * *
Email us at [email@example.com](mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions, topic suggestions, and comments, and check out [our Facebook group](https://www.facebook.com/groups/dwarfpodcast).
We have a [Patreon page](https://www.patreon.com/dwarfcast), in case you'd like to support us in a monetary fashion. Also, most links to [DriveThruRPG are affiliate](http://drivethrurpg.com/?affiliate_id=29668), which means we get a bit of money if you buy through them, with no added cost to you.
Intro and outro based on On the Shoulders of Dwarves by the Cliches Duo. On the Shoulders of Dwarves is shared under [Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International](https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/).
Brought to you by Eran Aviram of On the Shoulders of Dwarves