On the Shoulders of Dwarves
Retiring Your Character (episode 67)
Talk to your GM.
### Why retire your character (3:05)
* Because you feel that they have fulfilled their purpose in the narrative
* Or because it has fulfilled its purpose in an off play way (I wanted to play a swashbuckler to study the class/explore an idea or theme) now I’m done.
* I want to try a new class
* They don’t work as intended
* They’ve become too complicated
* I no longer care about them
* They got pushed into a corner
* I have a brilliant retirement idea
### Is this what you want to do? (9:35)
Can the reason for your retierment be solved with the current character? A character has a history, and that's something that shouldn’t be tossed away lightly.
### Retire gracefully (12:05)
Find an in-play reason why they must leave - this should be planned with the GM.
* Kill them off
* Have them finish up whatever business was keeping them in the group
* They must respond to a crisis
* They go on a personal journey
* Their past comes back
* They’re kidnapped, or make a face-heel turn
* Best option: a demon burst out of their flaming corpse and join the party, swearing to avenge the destruction of his vessel.
[Scanlan's angry departure](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7DuwqJtCGI&t=7660s).
### What now (26:07)
* Introducing a new character: consider upgrading an NPC/cohort; find common goals.
* Playing a temporary character.
* Handing off your character to the GM to be an NPC.
### Summary (33:15)
### Taking the Load Off (34:20)
Uri - an RPG weekend. [Image album here](https://www.facebook.com/lifshitz/media_set?set=a.10156573207193412&type=3).
Eran - [Crystal Heart](https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/281539/Crystal-Heart?affiliate_id=29668) is now out!
Brought to you by Eran Aviram of On the Shoulders of Dwarves